• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Will I forever need potassium?

Hi,
I am new here and have been trying to wrap my head around methylation and its protocols. I have added the quartet and I am now experiencing leg and feet cramping, only at night. The upside...I feel great!! So, I have been taking potassium and magnesium with some improvement but I am wondering if this will be a forever thing or does this improve once the healing is done?

I also have a question about potassium. One a post I stumbled upon there was a discussion about the dangers of taking potassium and how it damages the intestinal lining. Any thoughts? I have worked really hard to heal my gut and would hate to mess that up.

Thanks!

BadBadBear

If your doc will write you a script, slow release potassium is supposed to be less of a problem for the gut. I have been doing methylation since May of last year or so, and I still need potassium. I do take the slow release type, about 750mg per day currently as that's what my body needs. Seems like it's gonna be a forever thing for me, unless a real 'cure' comes along.

Are you getting bloodwork done to check your potassium levels? If not, it's a very good idea to do it once and a while. It will help you titrate your potassium needs, since it's bad to have your levels too low or too high.

Leg cramps can be caused by many things, it's not necessarily a reliable indicator of mag or potassium status.

halcyon

I also have a question about potassium. One a post I stumbled upon there was a discussion about the dangers of taking potassium and how it damages the intestinal lining. Any thoughts? I have worked really hard to heal my gut and would hate to mess that up.

I believe the possibility for damage is associated with the slow dissolving capsule forms coming into direct contact with the intestine and causing an ulcer. If you're using that type of supplement just make sure to take it with a meal. Otherwise, I believe there is less risk with taking the bulk powder forms dissolved in juice or water, but it's still probably best to take it with food to avoid irritation.

ahmo

@tckats My impression is that we may need K+ and Mg forever. Not scientific, sorry. But I think whatever minerals.

I've settle on NOW K+ Gluconate powder as the most versatile form. I'm generally now taking about 1gm AM/PM. If I need more due to stress or raising folate, I'll generally take 500mg in water. But I've settled on taking my regular doses in a footbath, AM/PM. I started this when I was using the Mg oil form of mag, and needed a lot of it. I'm no longer using this mg, but take my K+ and aminos in a footbath, about 15-20minutes.

I know that I don't need extra aminos compared to taking them orally, and assume the same is true of the K+, but I haven't taken it orally since I've stabilized on this higher dose, would prefer, also, to not bother my gut with it. AND, I don't know whether the powder at this higher dose would bother me. But it's unpleasant to drink at higher doses. :meh:

If your doc will write you a script, slow release potassium is supposed to be less of a problem for the gut. I have been doing methylation since May of last year or so, and I still need potassium. I do take the slow release type, about 750mg per day currently as that's what my body needs. Seems like it's gonna be a forever thing for me, unless a real 'cure' comes along.

Are you getting bloodwork done to check your potassium levels? If not, it's a very good idea to do it once and a while. It will help you titrate your potassium needs, since it's bad to have your levels too low or too high.

Leg cramps can be caused by many things, it's not necessarily a reliable indicator of mag or potassium status.

@tckats My impression is that we may need K+ and Mg forever. Not scientific, sorry. But I think whatever minerals.

I've settle on NOW K+ Gluconate powder as the most versatile form. I'm generally now taking about 1gm AM/PM. If I need more due to stress or raising folate, I'll generally take 500mg in water. But I've settled on taking my regular doses in a footbath, AM/PM. I started this when I was using the Mg oil form of mag, and needed a lot of it. I'm no longer using this mg, but take my K+ and aminos in a footbath, about 15-20minutes.

I know that I don't need extra aminos compared to taking them orally, and assume the same is true of the K+, but I haven't taken it orally since I've stabilized on this higher dose, would prefer, also, to not bother my gut with it. AND, I don't know whether the powder at this higher dose would bother me. But it's unpleasant to drink at higher doses. :meh:

Thanks for the information. I will give it a try. Plus, what a nice way to relax everyday.