• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

xmrv images

leelaplay

I'm absolutely fascinated by the images of xmrv. If you come across an image that's not posted here, would you be so kind as to add it with the source and date in the title bar, one article per post?

thanks

islandfinn:)

leelaplay

xmrv photo Scientific American Oct 8 2009

From Scientific American, Oct 8, 2009
Retrovirus Linked to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Could Aid in Diagnosis
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=chronic-fatigue-syndrome-retrovirus#comments

if

chronic-fatigue-syndrome-retrovirus_1.jpg

K

_Kim_

Proceedings from the Nat'l Academy of Sciences 9/22/2009

imageResize2.php

XMRV proteins are expressed in cancer cells, as seen in this section from a human prostate cancer. Cells showing brown, granular staining are malignant prostate cells that express viral proteins. Nuclei of all cells are stained blue. Inset shows malignant cells at higher magnification.

Photo Credit: Courtesy of U of U Health Sciences Public Affairs

K

_Kim_

German Prostate XMRV study 10/16/2009

Lack of evidence for xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus(XMRV) in German prostate cancer patients

1742-4690-6-92-4.jpg

Immunoflourescence microscopy and electron microscopy of transfected 293T cells. Mice were immunized with recombinant gp70 or pr65 protein fragments, and sera were used for immunoflourescence microsocopy of 293T cells transfected two days earlier with the molecular XMRV clone VP62 or with gp70 and pr65 expression constructs. (A) A pool of sera from gp70 immunized mice showed reactivity against whole XMRV or XMRV envelope protein expressing cells. Preimmune sera showed no binding, and immune sera did not react with naive 293T cells. (B) A pool of immune sera from pr65 (Gag) immunized mice showed similar reactivity to whole virus or XMRV Gag expressing cells. Gag protein was expressed at higher levels in cells transfected with the CMV-driven codon-optimized gag construct than in those transfected with the VP62 molecular clone of XMRV. (C) Thin section of 293T cells 2 days after transfection with the VP62 molecular clone of XMRV. Particles budding at the cell membrane and a mature XMRV virion are shown. Scale bar = 100 nm.

K

_Kim_

The Scientist's Notebook 10/11/2009

Antiviral Drugs

discoveryope.jpg

A retrovirus binds to a cell surface protein. This is what fusion inhibitors attempt to block.

leelaplay

Hi Levi

Love your new signature.

What is the 1st one picture of? subdermis? It's quite different from the others. And the 2nd? Do you have a link for the thumbnails? (thumbnails are on my list of things to figure out how to do)

islandfinn:)

ETA I love the hot pink.

hensue

I do not like those photo's

I was just checking on board and came across photos! Yikes
So many pros and cons about being positive. Looking at the pics
I want to freak out.

Remind me not to look at them anymore.

leelaplay

reminder

hi hensue, Reminder - don't look at the pics!

I understand your revulsion. I have a probably unhealthy fascination for seeing any rendition or photograph of xmrv. I'm thinking of framing one and/or all of them for myself for xmas. I know - I'm probably sick;).:D:rolleyes::eek::eek:

if:)

ETA - thanks Levi!

I was just checking on board and came across photos! Yikes
So many pros and cons about being positive. Looking at the pics
I want to freak out.

Remind me not to look at them anymore.

Beautiful and Terrifying!

I think these are both beautiful and terrifying. They look like aliens
invading: next we'll have a blockbuster movie based on them...
wouldn't THAT get PWCs some attention and understanding!?

I would like two of these made into 3'x4' pictures of some kind
to hang on two big walls I have never decorated since I moved
here this year!

They would show everyone what we 3 here with 'cfs' are
fighting, and scare the bejesus out of anyone who wants to
eat at our house, saving me a lot of work!

oerganix

and how different from each other

Yes, beautiful in a terrible way!

I like the blue one, post number four. How different from post number three.

I also thought of "posters" on the wall, of the various possible culprits in my "bodily fluids."

E

Emma-Kate

Acute_leukemia-ALL-150x150.jpg

XMRV-virus.jpg

3346866973_3b82f1c80b_m.jpg

They are very facinating images to look at under electron microscope etc, with dyes and such.