• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Xyrem/GHB

Misfit Toy

@minkeygirl I meant to tell you....yes, I did try Lyrica and I could not talk on it....or sleep. I felt doped. Same thing with neurontin. Neurontin made me very very depressed and I had to stop it because I started contemplating suicide all of the time.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Misfit Toy And that explains how we have to try things. I like 50 mgs of Lyrica to get me past a bad mood but if I took it all the time I'd weigh 300 pounds. (I haven't stopped eating today) Same with Neurontin. I took 3200 mgs in 98. It really helped for awhile until I started hallucinating and gained 60 lbs.

The moral is you have to try stuff and figure it out for yourself.

Gingergrrl

@Misfit Toy I am sorry to hear about your nightmare experience with Xyrem. I have never taken it but have some familiarity with it from my old job (before I was disabled by CFS.)

I worked with a patient with true narcolepsy/cataplexy and this was a great med for him. In other patients w/pain, insomnia, depression, etc, but not narcolepsy this med ultimately had too many side effects or difficulties and most had to stop. Granted they did not have CFS so that adds another whole dimension.

Misfit Toy

Agreed. I am finding that, too. Even those with narcolepsy have problems. I read this website about fibro. This doc offers it. He says...."all the meds I prescribe...except Xyrem, are low in side effects." I thought that was kind of funny and right on! :bang-head:

Tired of being sick

I feel the same way @Tired of being sick. It's unreal. While it helped with my pain, it made me feel nuts. I mean....can I get a break??? Every medicine has some serious drawback. Fentanyl helps my body pain, but brings on a migraine. Prednisone made me feel great, but it would kill my adrenals. The only word describing how I feel begins with an F.
Have you had your endocrine system tested?

especially the pituitary gland?

I am beginning to think proper sleep will not help GHD...

Our immune system loves to attack our own tissue,glands,lymph nodes,organs,bones,CNS,ETC.......

Tired of being sick

@Misfit Toy

Ya know, when I 1st saw your avatar/name..
I had an instant chuckle.......

It brought a vivid memory back to me..

It was in 1992 when I was working but late everyday and absent at least 3 days per month..
Boss/owner would not fire me no matter what because he was intelligent enough to recognize
I had health issues.."more so than I had recognized myself at the time"

So you can just imagine how I was alienated by fellow employees

I can remember how I would let them believe that I was doing it on purpose just to piss them off even further..

And at the Christmas party of 92..

I distinctively said,I am from the land of misfits and Santa better pick my ass up this year!!

Misfit Toy

@Tired of being sick -yes, I feel as though I am from the land of misfit toys! Many of us may feel that way.

So, I had pituitary testing years ago. Not recently. I don't want to go back to an endocrinologist. I've had the worst luck with them. They are not into CFS.

I am in perimenopause. I had PCOS. I know my HPA axis is off....most with CFS are.

I have idiopathic CD4 lymphopenia. And CVID...too major immune disorders. Low IgA....Celiac. My immune system is not working right at all.

Ps) you had a nice boss!

john66

I dont want to sound like Xyrem, was a god send for me, I would say it was the best of the worst. For me the worst part of it was the salty taste. I was up to the max dose 4.5 gm x2 per night and I think that amount of salt will make you urinate or vomit as well as cause anxiety. It did all three to me, but sleeping vs no sleep is a difficult call. I also tried Seroquel (sugar cravings and massive weight gain), Ambien (only kept me asleep for 2 hrs, the reload), valium (doesnt initiate sleep), remeron (sugar cravings, weight gain), Doxepin (hallucinations, sugar cravings , weight gain). All of the above mixed with Valerian, Melatonin, GABA, praying, begging etc.

Misfit Toy

Yes, I peed incessantly, had zero appetite and felt nuts and had horrible sweating, which is also a huge side effect. Good times!