• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

zopiclone versus zolpidem which is better?

Countrygirl

I found that zolpidem gave an intolerable side effect: severe agitation which I have never before experienced in my life. It was truly awful and has given me a great sympathy for anyone who suffers from this horrid condition. Perhaps it was a greatly enhanced case of the 'wired' sensation that many of us experience with ME and I would say without doubt that this distressing symptom was more unpleasant than even severe ME. When I realised that this sudden onset condition corresponded with starting zolpidem, I stopped the medication and the symptom vanished.........thank goodness.

I use zopiclone, but that has one embarrassing side effect for me: sleepwalking and binge eating in my sleep. I would find in the morning that I had eaten whole cakes including a large Christmas cake that I had made and on numerous occasions, whole large tubs of ice cream. :redface: It was a terrible waste as I had no memory of eating the scrummy food which was tragic. :cry::rofl: If I didn't live alone, I would have blamed someone else for the scenes of screwed up food wrappings that were tossed on the kitchen floor instead of being placed tidily in the bin and the missing food. It took me ten years of attempting to hide this embarrassing problem before I read that sleep walking as well as the nocturnal binge eating are two of the side effects. I have now found I can control this problem if I take no more than a half of a 7.5 mg of zopiclone which lasts me for about four hours. Unlike temazapam,it doesn't result in the poisoned feeling that one can have in the morning.

As for choosing between zolpidem and zopiclone there is no contest for me: zopiclone everytime, but do place padlocks on your fridge, freezer and larder and give someone else the key. :):(

Last edited:

Apple

I've only taken them a few times. Zopiclone got me to sleep more quickly. Zolpidem seems to have scarier side effects (such as hallucinations/memory blanks), although I've not experienced that myself.

For longer term issues - Amitriptyline has really helped me.

Thanks for that people. So so true about the eating, not in my sleep though thank goodness, but after I've taken them I simply have to eat! gonna get huge at this rate. I was on nytol for like 10 years until I realised it was masking a possible mast cell disorder, still waiting to get diagnosed. But def need something more long term sleep wise and for pain.

Really don't want to go on anti depressants though... any other ideas anyone? was thinking maybe muscle relaxant?

Countrygirl

Really don't want to go on anti depressants though... any other ideas anyone? was thinking maybe muscle relaxant?

Yes, baclofen. I have found this a most useful medication.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Also remember Zopiclone is very addictive, I'm now on 3/4 of a half tablet, been on iZop about 4/5yrs, but just don't seem to be able to reduce it down. I'm giving myself a break and accepting it at present as already feeling so rough with other stuff. Just wanted to reinforce that, if I had the choice again I wouldn't take it.

Jenny

I've taken zopiclone on an occasional basis for about 3 years. I only take half a 3.5 mg tablet on average twice a week. It gets me to sleep within half an hour or so,pretty reliably. Lack of sleep affects me really badly, so it's been a fantastic find.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Jenny
wish I'd taken it as you have on an occasional basis. Several people on here rotate sleep meds, so as not to become dependent, that seems to be the best idea.
So you have the 3.5mg tablets, I have 7.5mg didn't know they did smaller ones. I keep cutting down the half more and more so hopefully I'll get there at some point. I'm going to try the l-theanine tonight, have to find something else that works as well as Zop for getting me to sleep.

Jenny

@Jenny
wish I'd taken it as you have on an occasional basis. Several people on here rotate sleep meds, so as not to become dependent, that seems to be the best idea.
So you have the 3.5mg tablets, I have 7.5mg didn't know they did smaller ones. I keep cutting down the half more and more so hopefully I'll get there at some point. I'm going to try the l-theanine tonight, have to find something else that works as well as Zop for getting me to sleep.

GP won't give me any more than 14 tabs every couple of months, so I can only take them infrequently!

Have you tried very low dose melatonin? I take 0.3 mg occasionally, and it sometimes helps.

Good luck!

Jo86

Can I revive this thread with a question ?
I've been on this crap (Zopiclone) for years and years. Every once in a while, I feel so awful I think this stuff MUST have sth to do with it. So I gather the courage to give it a rest, after about a month of pondering on it. I only last about a week usually, then get back on it.

I'm not sure, and have found little results of that through reading online, but I suspect it creates some of that weird anxiety during social situations. Like, I'm rigid, and it makes me look and talk more awkwardly. Like the brain is that bit more fidgety, uneasy. Like, the opposite of smooth and steady. Does this make any sense to anyone that uses this, or am I going absoluuuuuutely nuts.