• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

XMRV replicates preferentially in mucosal sites in vivo

Jemal

Got this from the other forum, got Klein's and Silverman's name on it.

XMRV replicates preferentially in mucosal sites in vivo: Relevance to XMRV transmission?
Francois Villinger , Jaydip Das Gupta, Nattawat Onlamoon, Ross Molinaro, Suganthi Suppiah, Prachi Sharma, Kenneth Rogers, Christina Gaughan, Eric Klein, Xiaoxing Qiu, Gerald Schochetman, John Hackett Jr and Robert H Silverman

from 15th International Conference on Human Retroviruses: HTLV and Related Viruses
Leuven and Gembloux, Belgium. 5-8 June 2011

Retrovirology 2011, 8(Suppl 1):A219

Published: 6 June 2011

http://www.retrovirology.com/content/8/S1/A219

Jemal

This might be an older study, so I am not sure if all the authors are still standing firmly behind it, will all the controversy and all...

This might be another indication that XMRV could be spread by saliva? Or am I jumping to conclusions?

eric_s

What makes you believe this is an older study? Even if it is, i guess a researcher would not want it published, if he now thinks the conclusion is incorrect. I mean who wants to be the author of a paper that got it wrong. And the same should be true for a journal, so i guess they are still standing behind it.

Retrovirology... i can't believe my eyes. Probably that's because they have agreed to print all the papers that will be presented at the conference, else they would never publish anything that doesn't have the word "contamination" in it.

Also, i remember that some time ago there was talk about Silverman having doubts about the validity of XMRV. To me this doesn't look like that. But of course i could be wrong, i don't want to mislead anyone. So let's see what more will be released.

eric_s

If they say in vivo, apart from the monkey studies that could only mean they have found it in humans in that type of tissue, am i right? So that might be a clue that the study that found XMRV in respiratory secretions was correct (Fischer et al.). Will be interesting to read more.

ixchelkali

Francios Villinger is one of the guys from the Emory primate research lab. I'm guessing this is more data from their macaque study, unless they've done a new one. So far it seems to be a teaser, a preview of coming attractions, since it has a publication date of 6 June. But it says it will be open access, so at least we'll be able to read it then.

Nice to think that somebody is looking into the question of transmission. That's a pretty critical issue.

currer

I think "mucosal sites" would mean the gut or the genital mucosa.

Lung or nasal passages is not likely.

Jemal

What makes you believe this is an older study? Even if it is, i guess a researcher would not want it published, if he now thinks the conclusion is incorrect. I mean who wants to be the author of a paper that got it wrong. And the same should be true for a journal, so i guess they are still standing behind it.

I am not sure if it's an older study, I just wanted to point out that it could be older. Many studies are already months old when they get published. With all the current controversy this could be bad news. But I agree with you that if they don't stand behind their study anymore, I guess they would not want to publish it. So that's hopeful.

dannybex

Doesn't seem to be an older study. In fact, it couldn't really be 'newer' could it: "Published: 6 June 2011."

Once again, I don't get it. :)

alex3619

Hi, my guess is this is either a teaser, or political, or both. They are saying: XMRV is not dead, stay tuned. I would like to point out that there is a continuous mucosal layer from the gut to the mouth and nasal passages. Once infected, it could spread if this is the kind of tissue it likes. We need more research (my mantra). Bye, Alex

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
I think "mucosal sites" would mean the gut or the genital mucosa.

Lung or nasal passages is not likely.

1. mucosal - of or relating to mucous membranes
We have mucus membranes is our sinuses and lungs don't we. Or do I have that wrong. Thus, I am not understanding why lung or nasal passages are not likely. Could you please explain further why you think that? Please and thankyou.

currer

1. mucosal - of or relating to mucous membranes
We have mucus membranes is our sinuses and lungs don't we. Or do I have that wrong. Thus, I am not understanding why lung or nasal passages are not likely. Could you please explain further why you think that? Please and thankyou.

Hi,
I was just thinking of HIV which transmits this way, through the genital mucosa, and also as far as I can remember MLVs transmit in mice through sexual activity. Prostate cancer could be linked to XMRV as a sexually transmitted disease this way.

But having said that, you are right in that MLVs also transmit via saliva. So maybe saliva too.
If the virus is in the lung mucosa, it is unlikely to transmit that way unless it can transmit as an aerosol, which this class of virus are not known to do.
My train of thought was - replication then transmission. As far as we can judge from the title, this paper is dicussing both, isn't it?
So maybe it is in all the mucosa. But it would not necessarily transmit to others from all those sites.

Personally, I am interested in the liklihood of XMRV transmitting via faeces (from the gut mucosa.)
This could make it quite transmissible and could account for some of the outbreaks recorded - where an enteroviral-like outbreak has occurred. But this is ALL HYPOTHETICAL.
There is no evidence that XMRV can live in the gut or transmit from there. I am only guessing and going on what I can remember from following the research as an interested layman.

Your guess is as good as mine! My previous post was written in haste and I should have explained my thought processes better. Sorry.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Hi,
I was just thinking of HIV which transmits this way, through the genital mucosa, and also as far as I can remember MLVs transmit in mice through sexual activity. Prostate cancer could be linked to XMRV as a sexually transmitted disease this way.

But having said that, you are right in that MLVs also transmit via saliva. So maybe saliva too.
If the virus is in the lung mucosa, it is unlikely to transmit that way unless it can transmit as an aerosol, which this class of virus are not known to do.
My train of thought was - replication then transmission. As far as we can judge from the title, this paper is dicussing both, isn't it?
So maybe it is in all the mucosa. But it would not necessarily transmit to others from all those sites.

Personally, I am interested in the liklihood of XMRV transmitting via faeces (from the gut mucosa.)
This could make it quite transmissible and could account for some of the outbreaks recorded - where an enteroviral-like outbreak has occurred. But this is ALL HYPOTHETICAL.
There is no evidence that XMRV can live in the gut or transmit from there. I am only guessing and going on what I can remember from following the research as an interested layman.

Your guess is as good as mine! My previous post was written in haste and I should have explained my thought processes better. Sorry.

A few patients of KDM have had biopsies of their stomachs(?) that were tested positive for XMRV. Would this qualify as XMRV living in the gut?