• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis: International Consensus Criteria (2011)

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I am excited about this! First, it's in J Internal Med., which will provide widespread access to primary care physicians. And it's a concise, yet potent, explanation. Short enough (compared to CCC) that they might actually read it!

And it drops the hateful "CFS", while still signalling that it applies to patients who may carry that label.

Also reminds doctors (or maybe for many of them, informs for the first time) that this is, by the authority of WHO, a neurological condition, and tells the correct class code (in opposition to CDC/ICD-10-CM, which is going to tell doctors to convert the code for CFS to a symptom code for tiredness, lethargy, and overwork! direct opposite of how Fukuda describes CFS... I can understand why the CDC would want to dead-end CFS and in some respects I would like that, too, but on the other hand I think these ICD-CM conversion instructions will work out badly for patients and, besides, it's dishonest).

Also changes post-exertional malaise to "post-exertional neuroimmune exhaustion," which seems awkward but much better descriptor.

I love that they expanded the panel of authors and changed from Canadian to International Consensus Criteria.

I do wish they would bring on Yves Jammes; even though his studies and the others indicating neuromuscular dysfunction have all been very small, I really think there's something there with considerable explanatory power. Someone needs to come up with funding for a bigger study to see whether this is a small subgroup, or a finding that would apply to ME in general (so they could add it to documents like these, if it's in the bigger group).

Dolphin

I am excited about this! First, it's in J Internal Med., which will provide widespread access to primary care physicians. And it's a concise, yet potent, explanation. Short enough (compared to CCC) that they might actually read it!
Is there any chance you're thinking of
Annals_of_Internal_Medicine
The journal had a 2008 impact factor of 16.2
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annals_of_Internal_Medicine

The Journal of Internal Medicine with an Impact Factor of 4.04
www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0884-8734 - still not bad.