The funder of big, complex and expensive studies whose costs often run into the millions of dollars, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) presents a resource like no other. It’s never been easy to secure an NIH grant; for one thing, substantial data backing up one’s hypothesis is needed – which means researchers need to access substantial sums of money before they apply for the grant. The pre-grant stage is where non-profit organizations, which can provide seed money (about $100,000) for researchers to get the data they need to apply, shine.
The State of the Knowledge Workshop is here and it’s a good one. A hearty congratulations to Pat Fero, Mary Schweitzer, Ken Friedman, Dr. Jason, Dr. Klimas, Dr. Vernon and Dennis Mangan for what they’ve produced. The last NIH Workshop/Conference of this sort was the Neuroimmune Conference of eight years ago and was filled with NIH researchers who had little or no experience with CFS. This conference on the other hand is packed with ME/CFS researchers.
After overviews by Dr. Komaroff (who else?) and Dr. Jason (who else?) on characterizing and defining ME/CFS the Workshop jumps into four 20 minute presentations on EBV (Glaser), enteroviruses (Chia) and XMRV (Mikovits/Coffin). … Read MoreAdd Your Comment
A New Center - Much research and discussion now is not centered around XMRV but around a prostate cancer cell line called 22RV1. More than anything else this cell line that is what is causing problems for XMRV.
The 22RV1 cell line was created in 1999 in response to a need to study prostate cancer – a major cause of male mortality. Creating the cell line involved ‘passaging’ prostate cancer cells through nude mice tissues. At some point researchers were able to create a ‘cell-line’, a group of cells they could use to reliably grow prostate cancer cells and study them.… Read MoreAdd Your Comment
Phoenix Rising Store
Subscribe to our Free Monthly Newsletter
Help support Phoenix Rising
- Odd thing when stopping Methylcobalamin
- Poll on blood pressure
- Ryan Prior calls for your social media help re MedX on Friday 5 September
- Methylfolate by itself?
- "Parents of Ill UK Boy Fight Extradition from Spain" (not ME/CFS case)
- Science at the UK CMRC Conference, 1-2 Sept 2014
- Should we have a poll on resistant starch?
- Behind the scenes: Setting up the UK CFS/ME Research Collaborative (UK CMRC) - Tymes Trust
- The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?
- Detection of Mycotoxins in Patients with CFS
- Need advice on hormone testing
- Coffee and the Adrenals
- Tania's journal of drug treatments and other ME things
- SNPs Interpretation Guide
- Is tolerance to psychobabble the biggest issue in medicine today?
- Getting overwhelmed by symptoms after adding biotin
- Reaction to D-ribose (CorvalenM)
- My 23andme results are in, need your help