No subject has been more fraught with controversy than the involvement of pathogens in ME/CFS. The herpesviruses have long been a special research focus in the field.
The following articles on the topic were written by Cort Johnson and form part of the Phoenix Rising research archive.
- An Overview of HHV-6 in ME/CFS (2008) This overview examines the history of HHV-6 research in ME/CFS and looks to the future.
- Epstein Barr Virus I: EBV Rides Again? (2009) An examination of whether initally disappointing research into EBV has been superseded.
- EBV II: A Chronic Infection? (2009) Investigation of the idea that an undiagnosed EBV infection causes or contributes to CFS.
- EBV III: HERV’s, Treatment Studies, Summary (2009) Examination of the implications of a 2004 study that indicated that EBV could accelerate disease pathology in some people by activating retroviral elements in our DNA (human endogenous retroviruses, or ‘HERVs’).
- Diagnosing Epstein-Barr Virus Infection (2009) Looking at the controversy over the interpretation of test results for EBV.