In 2009, the possibility that XMRV, a retrovirus, might cause ME/CFS caused enormous excitement. After multiple research teams attempted to replicate the initial findings, XMRV turned out to be a laboratory contaminant.
The following articles on the topic were written by Cort Johnson as events unfolded and form part of the Phoenix Rising research archive.
- Game Changer: Retrovirus Found in chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) Patients (Nov 2009)
- XMRV Transmission (Nov 2009)
- XMRV: The Puppet Master? (Dec 2009)
- The XMRV Files: The Mystery Continues (Mar 2010)
- Muddy Waters: XMRV and CFS (Mar 2010)