“We have an effective drug that’s very, very safe” Dr. Dan Peterson
Nothing better demonstrates the adage that ‘nothing comes easy in CFS’ better than the story of the only CFS drug to ever come before the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Produced by a small pharmaceutical company called Hemispherx that, at least in its early years, displayed a propensity to get itself into lawsuits the drug has somehow managed to remain in limbo for over twenty years. Reports of its startling efficacy – at least in some patients – have both tantalized and frustrated an ME/CFS community for decades. Patients do have access to the drug in a few centers in the US but the high cost (>$1,000/month plus the expense of moving to the area) have kept most away.
In this section check out what Ampligen it is and how it works and the long and tangled history of the best and least used drug for ME/CFS for over 20 years.
- Ampligen – What it is, how it works, what doctors say, etc.
- Ampligen Resource Center – articles, studies, patient blogs
- Twisted History – Ampligens long and tangled road with ME/CFS
- Dr. Lapp Interview – Kelvin Lord interviews long-time Ampligen provider, Dr. Charles Lapp, on Ampligen and other treatment options
- The Ampligen Blogs – Follow Kelvin Lord as he documented his year-long experience with Ampligen