Treating Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS): Glutathione and the Methylation Cycle
Rich Van Konynenburg, Ph.d., an independent researcher, believes glutathione depletion causes many of the problems in ME/CFS. Glutathione is the master anti-oxidant in the body. Besides being involved in scavenging free radicals and degrading a wide variety of toxins glutathione plays a role in amino acid transport, protein synthesis, the cell cycle and immune cell proliferation.
These papers by Rich Van Konynenburg examine ways to enhance glutathione, detoxification and energy production in ME/CFS. (For the underpinnings of Rich’s theory see the Research Section)
- Glutathione and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) (2004) – Rich Von Konynenburg’s original paper in describes why he believes glutathione depletion plays a central role in ME/CFS; largely superseded by the Methylation Blockade Theory paper below.
- Lipid Replacement Therapy – In this post Rich discusses the intersection between oxidative stress, the mitochondria and lipids in CFS and a possibly a new way of increasing energy production in ME/CFS
- The Glutathione / Methylation Blockades in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) – A paper presented at the 2007 IACFS/ME Conference
- Methylation Cycle Blockade Theory – History and Underpinnings – How the Hypothesis came about, what it is, why the Yasko-Autism connection fits, and why he believes it pertains to ME/CFS (7/07)
- A Simpler Explanation of the Glutathione/Methylation Blockade Theory (12/08) – Rich provides a step by step simpler explanation of his theory
- Glutathione/Methylation Powerpoint Presentation – Download Rich’s powerpoint presentation to the 2008 Orthomolecular Health Medicine Society on Glutathione, Methylation and chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Is There A Link Between CFS and Lyme Disease? – Rich proposes that susceptible Lyme disease patients may down with methylation cycle blockades which lead them to have chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) as well. This condition must be remedied before they can recover.
- Augmenting Glutathione Levels in CFS – The most extensive resource on the net of the many different ways used to boost the levels of this master antioxidant in the body. This has been superseded by Rich’s Methylation Cycle Treatment Plan – see below.
- Treating Glutathione Depletion-Methylation Blockades in CFS – A ‘Simple Guide’ to enhancing the glutathione/methylation cycles from Rich Van Konynenburg (Jan 2007) – Rich updated this in July- see below.
- Methylation Cycle Blockade Treatment Plan – A July 2007 update to Rich Von Konynenburg’s Glutathione/Methylation Treatment Plan
- New! The Methylation Treatment Study – presented at the IACFS/ME Conference in Reno in March, 2009. In partnership with Neil Nathan, MD., Rich Van Konynenburg presents the results of the first treatment trial of the Methylation Treatment plan.