Several of the treatments below are designed to boost the effectiveness of the mitochondria – the engines of the cell. Several studies suggest mitochondrial functioning could be impacted in this disease. The treatments below are no cure but may help some patients.
- 5 – HTP– a natural serotonin modulator. Serotonin is the ‘feel-good’ chemical in the brain
- Acetyl-L-carnitine – an amino acid for energy
- Coenzyme Q10 – an essential component of mitochondrial energy production
- DHEA – A steroid hormone produced by the adrenal glands
- D-Ribose – building cellular energy through building ATP
- Glutathione – the master detoxifier in the body; see also methylation and glutathione
- LRT- Lipid Replacement Therapy (Omega 3 Fatty Acids) – for increased mitochondrial energy production
- Dr. Teitelbaum’s recipe for increasing energy production
Note: the Phoenix Rising website is produced by laypeople. It is not a substitute for a physician and is for informational uses only. Please discuss any treatments in these pages with your physician.